Have you been wanting to build a custom app to solve a specific business challenge but don’t know quite where to start?
► Microsoft Power Apps is a great solution because it enables organizations to rapidly build and share low-code apps without developers—and at a reduced cost.
Or have you tried working with Power Apps but you just couldn’t strong-arm the templates into meeting your specific need?
► Getting the outcome you envisioned is often easier said than done. Even with a low-code tool, without a developer’s mindset, the app might not work as smoothly as you’d envisioned.
When you’re stuck in either of these situations, don’t abandon your hopes of automating workflows, streamlining processes and improving productivity. Instead, seek expert guidance.
In this article I’ll cover the pros of Power Apps…and mention the ways Threadfin can help when you run up against the cons.
First, let me take a step back to explain more about Microsoft Power Apps.
What are Microsoft Power Apps?
Officially, Power Apps is a suite of apps, services and connectors, as well as a data platform, that provides a rapid development environment to build custom apps for your business needs.
Think about it this way:
Much like Canva disrupted the digital art world by creating a drag-and-drop tool that brought graphic design to the masses, Microsoft Power Apps simplified app development so nonprofessional developers could create their own custom app solutions.
That said, even with Canva templates, we still see bad graphic design in the world. Professional graphic designers understand the importance of contrast, readability and white space in a balanced design far more than the general population does. And the same holds true for app design. Even a low code and template-based solution doesn’t completely eliminate the need for a sound strategic framework and specific technical expertise.
Power Apps offers so many ways to optimize your organization, it’s definitely worth learning or finding a knowledgeable guide. Let’s take a look at the features…
What makes Power Apps a good solution?
In addition to low-code development delivered via user-friendly interface, Microsoft Power Apps features include:
- Seamlessly connect to various data sources: Aside from external databases, APIs and custom sources, Power Apps also connect to Microsoft’s own platforms like Dynamics 365, SharePoint and Office 365.
- Leverage AI: Use AI Builder in Power Apps to improve your business performance by automating processes and predicting outcomes.
- Accelerated development: Multiple templates combined with drag-and-drop components help accelerate the development process and enable more comprehensive customization.
- Complex business logic integration: Low code doesn’t mean basic. Power Apps can provide a foundation for more advanced capabilities like custom workflows and integrations using Microsoft Power Automate and Azure services.
- Mobile-optimized: Omnichannel is essential and expected in the modern world. Power Apps enables developers to optimize apps to deliver a seamless experience across desktops and laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
- Continuous improvements: Like most cloud-based software, Power Apps can be continuously improved and updated easily to accommodate changing organizational needs.
How could you use Power Apps to optimize productivity?
Power Apps can modernize your processes and solve tough business challenges. At Threadfin, we see Power Apps being used in 4 key areas:
- Internal business tools: Specific use cases include HR request systems, expense trackers or inventory management tools
- Process automation: Streamlining and automating repetitive business processes and workflows
- Data forms and entry: Everything from data collection to survey evaluation
- Reporting and analytics: Enhanced data visualization through custom dashboards and reporting tools that integrate with Power BI
In some cases, a single successful pilot use case can even be replicated in other departments or business units to optimize productivity across an entire organization.
It’s important to strategically tailor layout, functionality and user interface to your organization’s unique requirements. Whether you need a custom app built from scratch for your organization or you need a knowledgeable, approachable expert to push your project over the finish line, let me know in the comments. Threadfin can help.